Mar 25, 2011

Will Rob one day answer the Bell? - How comprehensive is God's grace?

As many are probably aware, cult figure (and I'm not using that word pejoratively but rather culturally), Rob Bell has recently proclaimed his affinity for the doctrine of Universal Atonement, also known as Comprehensive Grace & Universalism. To be fair, Bell, at the opening of his "Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever" book tour, Bell denied holding to the classical definition. However, in his rebuttal found HERE, in my opinion, he wasn't very convincing.



I found the above video of Doug Wilson rather interesting. He clearly delineated the issues that must be addressed i.e. the doctrines of Heaven, Hell, wrath and grace. Although I believe Bell's doctrinal proclivities are dangerous, the ensuing debate will prove to be healthy. I may have a warped perspective, but it seems to me that most Christians aren't equipped to deal with these kinds of theological issues.  

Bell, in his Gen X style, has been asking some very poignant questions that strike at the heart of ecclesiastical tradition. So, in some regard I have found Bell to be a breath of fresh air. However, in this instance, I believe he's teetering on the precipice of heresy. And mind you, I don't use that "h" word flippantly, since it has been a label affixed to some of my views as well. Any time you deviate from the norm (orthodoxy), folks love to use labels because they aren't equipped to refute the arguments Scripturally. So it becomes far less taxing and proves ultimately successful, to use the common rule of engagement known as guilt by association. But I digress...

In this case, I think it is much to do about a WHOLE LOT. This strikes at the heart of the Gospel and obliterates God's wrathful nature. Heck, we all DESERVE Hell, so, it's not a question of fairness. It's a question of, what does the Bible teach? It's not my intent here to deal with this issue, but suffice it to say, I believe the Bible overwhelming affirms that those who don't trust the finished work of Christ by faith, will be forever separated from God and eternal life. 

At any rate, this is a very important issue I hope many wrestle through not just emotionally but doctrinally. We must be prepared to give an answer for the hope that is within us. 

Bell's plea is in the video below.  

No comments: